Friday, September 4, 2009

About Five and Dime Bicycles

My wife had her mind set on getting a retro balloon tire beach cruiser. She shopped around and found one that seemed affordable, about $150.00, from a big department store. I wanted to surprise her by buying it and having it waiting in our living room for her to find when she returned home from work. After seeing the bike first hand at the store however, I had my doubts as to whether it would hold up or not. I left the store, headed home, and went online to read some user reviews from people who purchased the same bike. What I found was not pretty. Complaints ranged from "uncomfortable ride" all the way to "I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE FELL APART AFTER ONLY 2 MONTHS!!! SOMEBODY CALL THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU!!!"

So, department stores might not be the way to go. I started hitting Craiglist in search of a quality vintage bike. I found several that looked perfect but every time I contacted the seller I was informed that the bike had already been sold. That got me thinking that there just might be a market for clean, solid, reliable vintage bikes. If a bike is still in good shape after 20, 30, 40, or more years, it is obviously built well. Plus, old bikes are just plain cool.

The goal of Five and Dime Bicycles is to provide incredibly affordable, eye-catchingly unique, ready-to-ride vintage bikes. We're rescuing old bikes from basements, garages, yard sales (where I found my wife's bike!), and flea markets and getting them back where they belong - on the road. We personally favor the style of old ten speeds, road bikes, and cruisers so that's what you'll find the most of at Five and Dime. Riding a bicycle is economical, fun, good for you, and good for the environment. We're looking forward to matching up old bicycles with new owners.

Think globally, bike locally. - Five and Dime Bicycles

No comments:

Post a Comment